The fish cake known as Pahet is one of Cambodia’s favorite food items. It is made using boneless white fish that is nicely cut into little chunks. The fish cake consists of lemon grass, turmeric and cloves as the main ingredients. The cake is made in the traditional Cambodian style but there are many variations to this special recipe according to each region.
Golden fried fish cake flavor with spicy lemon grass and a touch of Khmer famous pahok (pickle fish) is absolutely scrumptious.
Cambodians use mortal and pestles to pounded fresh, boneless, skinless fish fillets and spices, which time consumed.
· 1 lb Fresh grounded fish, or 1 package frozen grounded fish
· 2 Cloves garlic, minced
· 3 Stalks green onion, chopped
· 3 Tablespoons minced lemon grass
· 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
· 1 Teaspoon sugar
· ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
· 3 Chopped hot chili pepper, or to your taste(option)
· 1 Teaspoon creamy style pickle fish (herring works great!)
· 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
· In a large bowl,put grounded fish with garlic, green onion,lemon grass, soysauce, sugar, black pepper, chili pepper, pickle fish (herring), and 1 tablespoon oil, mix well.
· Spoon some prepared grounded fish and using your hands to form a small patty, repeat the process till done.
· Pre heat a skillet or wok in medium high temperature.
· When skillet is hot, add remaining oil and pan fry fish patties till each fish cake is golden brown on both sides.
· When fish cake cooked, removed it from heat and cut to bite sizes before serve.
Serve hot or warm with rice or as mahope sar .