The couscous is the typical food of Morocco, favored by all Moroccans as lunch on Fridays and at night Axura. We can find the couscous with seven vegetables, and sweet couscous, sugary coucous or seffa, coucous suppress kourdass among other varieties. Tajin, the typical fish is accompanied by various meats such as camel, chicken, goat, lamb or vegetables, something different from what is usually outside of Morocco as baddaz, attanjya or skewers. The other popular dish, and widely known around the world, is Couscous; coarse semolina grains. Boiled, steamed, or soaked in water, couscous can be mixed with fruits, nuts, meats, vegetables, or by itself.
- 2 cups dried chick peas
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 200 g eggplant, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut in 5 mm rounds
- 3 medium new potatoes, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 150 g pumpkin, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3 tsp harissa, or to taste
- cups boiling water
- 100 g small stringless beans, cut in 5 cm diagonal slices
- 2 zucchini, unpleed, cut in 1 cm rounds
- 1 medium, ripe tomato, cut into eight pieces
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaved parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander ground pepper
- 1 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp butter
- Cover chick peas with cold water, overnight.Drain, wash well and cook in large pan, on low simmer for 1 1/2 hours Heat oil in a large heavy-based pan and cook onion and cinnamon stick over low heat until onion softens.
- Add eggplant, carrots and potatoes cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.Add pumpkin, allspice and Harissa.Pour boiling water over mixture and add chick peas, beans and zucchini.
- Stir in tomato and pepper just before serving, Simmer, covered for a further 15 minutes. Garnish with the fresh parsley and coriander.
- To prepare Couscous: Pour boiling water on to 1 cup couscous in a bowl.Stir in butter and allow to stand for about 10 minutes
- Steam in a pan with a close-fitting lid on low heat for 5 minutes.Serve with vegetables.Note: Couscous is the name given to both the cooked dish and the semolina.
- HINT It is not necessary to salt eggplant before cooking to remove any bitter juices if eggplant is young and fresh.