The Vietnamese food recipe is different in different regions. Since the Vietnamese civilization originated from northern Viet nam, the Vietnamese food recipes are highly influenced by the recipes that are used here and it gave birth to some of the most popular dishes of the authentic Vietnamese food recipes. Exotic meats like soft-shell turtle, snake, domestic goat and deer are enjoyed exclusively throughout Vietnam whereas alcoholic beverages are not an everyday fare.
- 1 kilogram Pickled Tongue
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 whole all spice
- 300 gm can tomato sauce
- 300 gm can water (measure by filling above tomato can)
- juice of one lemon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- Put tongue, onion, bay leaf and all spice in a pot. Cover with cold water. Cover pot. Cook on medium heat for 2 hours.
- Cool. When the tongue is lukewarm, peel. Then slice the tongue – tip to back – into medium width strips.
- In a separate pot, combine tomato sauce, water, lemon juice and brown sugar. Add sliced tongue. Cook the tongue in this sauce on medium-low heat for another hour or until the tongue is tender. In the last half hour of cooking, add the raisins.
It is best to use pickled tongue because it is already spiced.
This same sauce can be used for meatballs.