Another culinary inspiration from Brazil is his well-known Quindim, which is a traditional dessert in northeast Brazil and in whose preparation is used egg yolks and coconut. Although it has a high content of cholesterol, its nutritional value is very high and even cause delight the most discerning palate.
- 225g Granulated Sugar
- 75g Desiccated (flaked) Coconut
- 1 tbsp Butter, softened
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 1 Egg White, beaten until stiff
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and lightly grease a 23cm/9-inch pie dish.
- Place the sugar, coconut and butter in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time whilst beating with an electric beater.
- Add the egg white and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pie dish and place in a large roasting pan filled with about 2.5cm/1-inch of boiling water. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
To serve – Release the pie from the dish by running a small knife around the edges and invert onto a serving platter. Allow to cool then refrigerate until well chilled.