Mizutaki is a Japanese nabe (hot pot dishes.) Chicken and other ingredients are simply simmered in dashi soup. It’s usually simmered at dining tables, and usually a pot is shared by some people. Take cooked ingredients in small bowls and eat them, dipping in ponzu sauce.
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 3 cups konbu dashi soup stock
- 1 tofu, cut into small blocks
- 2 lb. hakusai (Chinese cabbage), chopped
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 negi, or 1 leek, rinsed and diagonally sliced
- 1 shungiku (chrysanthemum greens) *if available
- *ponzu sauce for dipping
- Cut chicken into small pieces.
- Put kombu dashi soup stock and chicken in an electric pan or donabe pot.
- Heat the soup and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface.
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer the chicken until cooked.
- Add other ingredients and simmer until softened.
- Serve some ponzu sauce in small bowls.