There’s one thing to know about Panamanian main dishes-meat is commonplace. From beef to chicken, Panamanian cuisine offers something for everyone! This recipe is wonderful. It’s always a big hit on our home although made differently each time! Note: saffron is expensive and sometimes hard to find. Buy packaged saffron rice and substitute half that kind with regular plain white rice and it gives it a wonderful flavor.
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces
- about 225 grams of Crisco or other fat or oil
- 1 can pimentos (sliced)
- ½ bottle stuffed olives
- 850 grams can tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 450 grams tomato sauce
- 900 gm rice
- 1 bunch parsley (chopped)
- 1 tsp saffron
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 can peas
- Brown chicken in Crisco or oil
- Add sausages and cook (I take out some of the grease before adding the rest of the ingredients).
- Then add tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, onions, garlic, bay leaves, saffron, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and add rice.
- Cook on medium high until liquid is absorbed.
- Then cover tightly and steam until rice is done.
- When serving, add can of heated peas and pimientos over the top.
- Arrange chicken around the sides (or remove chicken from bones and add to rice) parsley may also be used to decorate.