The southern African Braai (barbeque) is more than just eating food cooked on a grill outside. In South Africa, Zimbabwe and many other places in Africa it is a way to get together with friends and enjoy good food, good weather and a few cold beers. A South African braai just wouldn’t be the same without a creamy potato bake! Follow this tried and tested recipe and feel free to add other ingredients such as mushrooms, ham, bacon or corn. Meat, fish, chicken, potatoes and onions are cooked over coals, outdoors. Almost every suburban house has a braai area – many have an indoor one as well.
- 10 medium potatoes
- 100gm cheddar cheese, grated
- 200ml cream
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thin slices in round shape
- In a rectangular, oven-proof dish (about the size of an A4 piece of paper), put a layer of potato slices and then a few slices of onion on top. Add salt and pepper.
- Build as many layers as possible.
- Pour the cream over the potatoes.
- Bake at 180°C for 1 ½ – 2 hours
- Grill until golden brown and sprinkle the cheese over Just before serving.