This meat and vegetable stew from Argentina is a filling and satisfying meal combining traditional ingredients with sweet potatoes, squash and peaches or apricots for a delectable combination. Served with crusty bread and butter and a good Argentinean red wine, this makes an excellent entree.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine or crushed
- 2 pounds of veal or meat of your choice
- 1 14 oz can tomatoes crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 pound of squash, cubed
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 2 corn ears, cut from the ear, or canned or frozen corn
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 can peaches or apricots
- salt and pepper to taste
- beef broth
- parsley or basil, fresh or dried
- Brown the onion and garlic in the oil and butter. Cut the meat into cubes and add to the pan. Brown well on all side. Add the tomatoes, carrots, and beef broth to cover the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over low heat for 15 minutes and add the potatoes, squash, corn and cook, again over low heat, until the vegetables are nearly done.
- Add rice and fruit, and cook until the rice is done. Check seasonings.
- Garnish with parsley or basil. Serve with a red wine from Argentina