Scottish salads are sometimes served as appetizers or as garnish to a meal and most of them are high in vitamins and very consistent. Scottish salads are very healthy made of vegetables, fruits or even a mixture of fruits and vegetables or vegetables with meat. Some are even made with fish and seaweed. Preparing these salads, olive oil, lemon juice or wine is required.
- 225gm Sugar
- 300 ml water
- 1 wineglass red wine
- 1 lemon, juice only
- sherry – dash
- 2 Fresh peaches
- 2 Fresh apricots
- 1 orange
- 2 bananas
- 110gm raspberries
- 110gm Redcurrants
- 110g cherries – 110g (4 oz)
- Put the Sugar, water and wine in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes.
Allow to cool, then pour this syrup into a nice bowl and stir in the lemon juice and sherry.
- Dip the peaches and apricots very briefly in boiling water and then skin them carefully.
Slice them and put them immediately into the syrup.
- Pare the skin and pith from the orange with a sharp knife and cut it into slices, catching the juice on a plate.
- Put the orange slices and juice into the salad. Slice the bananas and add them too.
Lastly put in the raspberries, redcurrants stripped of their stalks and cherries, halved and stoned.
- Spoon some of the liquid over the fruit and chill thoroughly before serving with or without whipped cream.
- Fruit liqueur, rum, or sherry may be added.