Thousands of years ago, ancient Egyptians left evidence of their love for food. Well-preserved wall paintings and carvings have been discovered on tombs and temples, depicting large feasts and a variety of foods. Many of these ancient foods are still eaten in Egyptian households today. A specialty Egyptian meal encompasses delicacies like grilled pigeon stuffed with rice, dry or deep fried fish, a spicy salad made of tomatoes, cheese, beans, eggs, potatoes and yogurt. Peas, beans, cucumbers, dates, figs, and grapes were popular fruits and vegetables in ancient times. This salad is very popular and a delightful salad for summertime.
- One 16-ounce bag frozen French cut green beans
- One 16-ounce can black eyed peas
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 entire scallions, chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam and drain the green beans and allow them to cool completely. Drain and rinse the black eyed peas. Combine all ingredients and mix well. May be served chilled.