Bracing Calvados and tart hints of lemon make a fantastic sorbet recipe to serve at dinner parties and special occasions. Serve it as a light dessert or as an unexpected palate cleanser between courses. It is especially welcome in Brittany and Normandy regional menus.
- 1 1/3 cup peeled, chopped tart apple (1 large)
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup Calvados, or apple brandy (or apple juice)
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the chopped apple, water, and sugar to a simmer. Cover the pan, lower the heat slightly, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the apples are very tender. Remove from the heat and cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and Calvados, and stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Chill it until very cold, for about 2 hours. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.